new health trick: “the fuzz”
Sometimes health needs to be explained in nonsensical, onomatopoeic language. Yuk! Goob! Stodge! If you’ve been unwell for a while, or get gut aches for no discernible reason (and you’re told you’ve got IBS), or you go around in circles with complaints, or if you have some sort of auto-immune disease, then you totally know what I mean. Health, once you’ve gone past the level of taking a pill or getting a cast put on a broken leg, is nebular.
Melbourne naturapath Gill Stannard alerted me to this youtube link with Gil Hedley talking about The Fuzz, a case for stretching in the morning. Totally pervy and visceral. And totally geared at anyone with inflammation issues (hello, auto-immune disease!!!).
This much you need to know: if you have inflammation issues, stretch in the morning, get massages, move.
Other ways to deal with inflammation:
1. Avoid processed foods – trans-fats, high-fructose corn syrup, chemicals, additives and other “non-food” ingredients. Sugar is highly inflammatory.
2. Eat healthy fats such as extra-virgin olive oil, coconut, avocados, nuts and seeds.
3. If you drink alcohol – an occasional glass of red wine is best.
4. Eat coloured vegetables and fruit. Eat more veggies than fruit (5-6 servings of veggies, 3-4 servings of fruit).
5. Only eat non-gluten grains – quinoa, amaranth and brown rice.
6. Eat turmeric. Here’s why.
7. Meditate. Just meditate.
8. Eat the right balance of EFAs (essential fatty acids) – In general, omega-3s are anti-inflammatory and omega-6s are pro-inflammatory.
9. Only eat organic 100% grass-fed, meat and milk – they contain higher levels of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid), which studies show may fight inflammation and have anti-cancer properties.
10. Get 8 hours of sleep.
Anything I’ve missed fellow puffy folk??