Yesterday I shared the gist of what kitcheri is all about. Now, here’s the recipe I work to, which keeps it as simple as possible.
I also have a Nourishing Kitcheri recipe in I Quit Sugar For Life and an Inside-Out Sprouted Kitcheri Loaf inSimplicious. I’ve also shared the whole deal with Ayurveda healing. And written a post detailing my experience at an Indian clinic.
My Simplicious Kitcheri
- 1 cup white basmati rice
- 1 cup of split mung dhal – yellow or green
- 1 tbls of ghee
- 1 tbls of Panch Phora spice mix (or mix equal parts fennel seeds, cumin seeds, fenugreek and mustard seeds
- 8 curry leaves
- 1 tbls of grated fresh turmeric or 1 tsp of turmeric powder
- very big grind of black pepper
- ½ tsp Asafetida
- 6 cups of water, boiling
- 3-4 cups of diced vegetables (zucchini, sweet potato, carrot) or silverbeet. But only choose 1-2 varieties, not all four at once.
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- juice of half a lemon or lime
- salt and pepper to taste