Two weeks I ago I sprained and hairline-fractured my ankle…and tore my tendon. I was running barefoot on ocean rocks in the rain because I was listless. “I know, I’ll do something slightly off-kilter, so I can feel a bit more alive.” In addition to demolishing my ankle I also ran into three nude men. Another story.
So. I can’t walk for 6 weeks, run for 3 months. It’s a sentence. It’s a sign.
But this has helped. A comfrey poultice. I researched online the various benefits. Much has been said about it’s ability to heal sprains and even fractures. I looked at the different techniques and decided to get witchy with it myself.
Frankly, I’ve come up with the Creme de la Creme of Healing, Soothing Poulticessssss.
Check this shit out…
1. Cut up comfrey leaves – about six – and stick-blend in a plastic container(which means you don’t get your blender machine dirty) with some water…enough to make it soupy.
2. clever trick #1: Most recipes say to add a good handful of flour to get it paste-like. Good. But I used chia bran and psyllium husk because it got it SUPER pasty. Like a rubber. You need this so you can use the poultice like a goob and it won’t run everwhere.
3. I bought these little guaze swatches from the chemist for 45c. You could use an old nappy or teatowel cut in strips. I put a 1cm thick patch on each, about the size of your ankle. Or whatever.
4. clever trick #2: I then applied the swatch to my ankle…and used clingwrap to keep it there. Not only holds it in place firmly, it also stops leakage! I ran a bit of surgical tape around it to keep it in place.
5. clever trick #3: With the left-over swatches…I stuck them in the freezer. Which turned them into the most clever healing ice packs.
Feel free to cut and keep this for when you next go barefoot rock running in the rain on a nudist beach.
PS Got any other kind of cures like this? Favourites?